Proposal for a MIME mapping spec

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Jul 8 01:49:01 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 23:43 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
<snip>
> I can't see users manually installing desktop files very often. This
> *should* be an implementation detail dealt with by the software
> installer/package manager.
>
> > fontconfig stat's directories looking for changes and automatically
> > regenerates a per-user cache.  If this is possible, it will eliminate a
> > lot of errors.
>
> That's good, because fonts typically *are* installed directly by the user,
> being single standalone files with no dependencies. Desktop files are the
> opposite, they cannot usefully exist in isolation.

I can think of a number of users... the developers (like me) that will
install the stuff from source. Will we need to add magic lines to our
Makefiles that we will need to disable when a package is being created?
(see GConf). Or could we rely on the computer actually making our jobs
easier?

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>
I don't particularly understand women. -- Ang Lee