Proposal for a MIME mapping spec

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Jul 8 09:08:46 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 23:46, Philip Peake wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
>
> >This is a user trap.  Install new desktop files and nothing happens until
> >you run the 'magic' program.
> >
> >fontconfig stat's directories looking for changes and automatically
> >regenerates a per-user cache.  If this is possible, it will eliminate a
> >lot of errors.
> >
> >Duplication of data should be under system control, not user control.
> >

> Yes, this is a potential problem that needs to be addressed.
>
> I would also like to add a plea to at least consider adding an
> abstraction layer so that the on-disk hierarchy could be replaced by a
> (possibly remote) database of some description (LDAP/RDBMS/etc).

This is an immense change in complexity. Going from a shared file format
specification to a common API with all the ABI stability issues, release
schedule differences, dependency hell and language bindings problems.

What exactly would this gain you? I see zero gain, only lots of pain.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a benighted gay rock star haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's an enchanted
belly-dancing single mother on her way to prison for a murder she didn't
commit. They fight crime!