Proposal for a MIME mapping spec

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 13:29:22 EEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 05:22:46PM -0400, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At GUADEC, Waldo Bastian, Dave Camp, Alex Larsson, Zack Rusin, and I met
> to discuss putting together the final part of the MIME spec.  In
> particular, we discussed the mapping of applications to MIME-Types.  We
> went through what we wanted that spec to do and put together a proposal.
[...]
> Path Resolution For Preferred Applications:
> The order in which the preferred applications list is determined is a
> little complicated.
>
> The defaults are first read in
> $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications/defaults.list.  It is expected that these
> defaults are set solely by the distributor of the system.  Then, a
> $MIME_PREFS_LIST environment variable is checked for other preferred
> applications.  This is expected to be set by a sysadmin providing their
> own defaults.  Additionally, each desktop should prepend its own
> defaults to this variable.

Why is this config information in $XDG_DATA_DIRS? Surely it should be in
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS? MIME_PREFS_LIST seems unnecessary, since desktops can
already add to XDG_CONFIG_DIRS (ROX-Session adds
/uri/0install/rox.sourceforge.net/lib/DefaultChoices to the choices search
path, for example).

> Then, $XDG_DATA_CONFIG/mime/defaults.list is checked for user-specific
> defaults.  Finally, it is expected that each desktop will have their own
> (optional) user-specific desktop file.

XDG_DATA_CONFIG? Do you mean XDG_DATA_DIRS or XDG_CONFIG_DIRS?

Anyway, looks promising!

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net