Proposal for a MIME mapping spec

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Thu Jul 8 14:09:54 EEST 2004

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:12:33 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> The current desktop file lists 'Actions' as a possible entry.  We
>> decided against including actions in this specification.  It is
>> currently left for desktop projects to implement in their own fashion.
>
> 	Ah, no ... Please, can we not just dump this if we don't think its
> useful?

I'd argue it is useful, there's plenty of prior art on Windows for this
where apps utilise it to solve real use cases (think printing via Word
from the context menu, I think a *lot* of people use that).

Actions in .desktop files in the menus/panels has several use cases too,
that's why Christian implemented support for it in gnome-panel.
Unfortunately that patch has not been reviewed yet.

thanks -mike