desktop-entry-spec.xml patch

Albert Chin xdg at mlists.thewrittenword.com
Wed Jul 14 16:56:15 EEST 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:40:30PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 23:27, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > Albert Chin <xdg at mlists.thewrittenword.com> writes:

> > > Will update-mime-database be a binary? If so, it will be a problem for
> > > installs to an NFS server shared by multiple platform types (Solaris,
> > > HP, AIX, etc.).
> >
> > No.  It will be UTF-8 text only.
>
> I assume he asked if it was a binary application, thus causing problem
> if its not the same architecture as the one calling it.
>
> However, i fail to understand how this case could happen in reality.

What case? That of someone installing a RPM for a different arch? Our
customers do this routinely. They might have a Solaris NFS server and
install packages for HP-UX, AIX, etc. on the Solaris NFS server with
rpm --ignoreos --ignorearch. It's much simpler than giving NFS root to
an HP-UX, AIX, etc. installation server for the corresponding arch
binary.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)