[gnome-schedule-devel] Re: Scheduling subsystems (crontab, at) and the desktop

Gaute Hope eg at gaute.eu.org
Fri Jul 23 14:24:38 EEST 2004

På to , 22/07/2004 klokka 18:55, skreiv Avery Pennarun:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:10:55PM +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>
> > So if I understand the draft (you are working on a more complete one I
> > understood), it will be a lot like the gconf-system. But not for
> > configuration data, but for schedulable actions.
>
> Shameless plug: you could use UniConf for this by creating a special
> "crontab" backend, and then even access it via gconf if you wanted.
>
> But seriously, I think this project is a bit misguided.  You're saying two
> things:
>
>  1. Nobody wants to schedule events using command-line tools.
>
>  2. Users need to have control over which environment variables are set at
>     the time their weird daily-event command line is run.
>
> These two points are incompatible, which is why nobody ever uses programs
> like kcrontab.  Either stick with the command line (at/crontab), or stay
> away from it (programs that actually do stuff should have a UI for
> scheduling events).
>
> If you're going to do the latter, then providing an easy API and/or other
> standard to make it easy for apps to tie into scheduling will make sense,
> but the gnome app you've been writing won't help anyone.  If you do the
> former, the gnome app you've been writing will still not help anyone, and
> you'll be correct that normal users still won't be able to schedule events.
>
> So I agree that something has to be done here, but make sure you think
> carefully about the user requirements first.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Avery

Hail!

If I am reading this correct there will be the eventuality backend and
the applications will communicate with that, through the eventuality
fronend or APIs.

So the role for the future gnome-schedule will be to keep an overview of
the scheduled tasks. And show all of them, since each
application(evolution, anti-virus..) doesn't care about each others
scheduled tasks.

- gaute