Current Desktop capabilities - take 3.

Michael Meeks michael at ximian.com
Sat Jun 5 17:59:17 EEST 2004

Hi Mark,

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 13:06 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > 	"I'd love to get some feedback from the people most vehemently opposed
> > to the initial idea"
>
> 	One of two things is going on with your "take 3" proposal:

	:-)

>   a) You're deliberately proposing something which you know to be
>      inescapably horrendous in the hope that we'll see the error of our
>      "unhelpfully perfectionist" ways and go running back to your
>      original proposal or

	Not at all - I'm deliberately removing the straw man of:

	switch (foo)
		case GNOME: / case KDE: [ omitted CDE etc. ]

	which was the basis of, well virtually every argument I listened
carefully too against it; [ and is rightly labeled as a terrible idea,
no-one should be switching for anything on desktop name; but instead
it's capabilities ], and I'm accomodating your DESKTOP_LAUNCH proposal;
and Havoc's DESKTOP_BUTTON_ORDER (?) alternative.

	I'm not convinced that DESKTOP=a:b:c is any more inescapably horrendous
than DISPLAY=host:disp.screen. So - I'd appreciate more detailed
criticism, I attach the revised proposal to make this easier.

>   b) You've gone battshit insane.

	:-) lol, that's probably true, if only the voices in my head would keep
quiet long enough for me to think straight. Having said that I'm in the
good company of Waldo, George, and well - ISVs who actually have to deal
with these problems now, and don't want to wait for the Star-Trek-Future
for some perfect solution [ which is in no way precluded by the short-
term hack =].

> 	Ultimately, of course, all extremely amusingly
> transparently tongue-in-cheek ...
> Love,

	Of course; and taken that way. I guess I'm grateful for the response -
but any chance of a more detailed critique ? I _think_ I managed to
respond and incorporate much of the last round of comment, but I'd love
more input.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--