[Fwd: buglet on website]

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Jun 21 19:06:42 EEST 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:54:42AM -0400, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:45:48 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 04:33 +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > As sitewranglers is an admin-only list, and we have a surplus of admins,
> > > I discarded the request. Colin Charles regularly moderates xdg.
> >
> > OK, it seems mailman doesn't notify you if a subscription request is
> > discarded. I assumed it just hadn't been seen yet.
>
> Oh, we've got a list that's a black-hole from the user's point-of-view?
>
> That's no fun for users.

I know, but it's IMO necessary.

> I can appreciate the (infrequent) need for admins to communicate
> privately among themselves. But I don't think that should be the same
> address that users should be expected to use to contact the admins,
> (which should be a list with open subscription and public archives).

That list is freedesktop at .

> Or do we already have a public list for talking to admins, and I just
> erred in pointing Mike to sitewranglers?

If you want to do stuff in public, do it at freedesktop at freedesktop.org,
but not all information is public (SSH keys, for one), and I'm not
convinced of the merit of having everything out there. It just makes
more sense and is easier to have one admin list, and a general-purpose
list. If I catch admin stuff on freedesktop@, I hand people over to
sitewranglers if necessary, or explain to them why it's not
necessary/they're not going to get access/whatever.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org