Mime-typed clipboard standard

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Jun 29 23:55:18 EEST 2004

I suggest you step back and re-read the clipboard specs.  You don't seem
to have even the slightest idea as to how they work.  Copying of data in
any format, even multiple formats, is already possible and in wide use.
I can copy text from Mozilla, and when pasted into another application
that application can select the format it wants (say, plain text for a
text editor) from the formats Mozilla offers (plain text, HTML, etc.)
and things work just as the user would expect.  Image applications can
offer to export image data in any format they want.  The only time you
will run into problems is when the two apps do not both support any of
the same formats, and there is thus no way to transfer the data between
them.  That's a problem with the individual applications not supporting
any common formats, not a problem with the X clipboard specification.

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 16:28, pmatias wrote:
> We should have a standard for cut and paste any data,
> such as hypertext and images. The X clipboard
> explanation says that the SECONDARY area don't have an
> interesting use. I propose the following standard in
> this document:
>
> * The PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD areas will be filled with
> plain text. It should be filled with the correspondent
> non-formatted text when copying hypertext, for
> maintaining compatibility with other programs.
>
> * The SECONDARY area will be filled when non-plain text
> data is explicitly copied. It could be defined as
> follows: mime-type (null-terminated string) + data.
> line".
>
> It's essential to define a standard of this kind. Then
> the users will be able, for example, to copy formatted
> text and images in Mozilla and paste directly in OpenOffice.
>
> Thanks,
> Paulo Matias

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.