Permissions on key directories/files.

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Mar 23 00:18:07 EET 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:53:27PM -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
>    o a small helper application that can get invoked at run time
> 	if files/directories need resetting and are not set
> 	correctly.

make this helper application an init.d script and you arrive where
debian is currently. i like it that way.
the downside is, that init.d is quite system-specific, so out-of-the-box
installations would have a hard time.

pam is no option, as it is for user sessions - which are started a long
time after the X server is running in the ?dm case.

so while i don't really like it, putting it in ?dm and xinit (which
would need setuid root ...) seems like the best option. of course one
could make them call a script (Xprepare?), but i'm not sure this buys us
that much.

greetings