Privacy

Rizsanyi Zsolt rizsanyi at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 25 19:53:53 EET 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 16.23, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Elijah Newren said:
> > I have a 3-year-old nephew that wants to play chromium and
> > tuxracer all the time.  I hate logging out (same reasons as others
> > listed), but he always manages to get out of the game I launch for
> > him, close several of the windows I had up (which basically provides
> > me with some of the bad side-effects of logging out anyway), and then
> > launches a different game from the panel menu.  He's gotten really
> > good at this, and I don't know how to teach him to not close windows.
> > Sure, I can just tell him he can't use the computer, but I would
> > rather not be restricted from occasionally allowing him to do so (nor
> > do I want to be restricted in what I have to do in order to allow him
> > to safely play for a few minutes).
>
> Here's a "hack-up" solution for you, which you can get running NOW,
> without waiting for anything to be implemented:

And here is a much more easy solution:

1) Create an account for your child (adduser ... or whatever)
2) When your child wants to play a game press Alt-Ctrl-F1 to change to the
console 1
3) log in to your childs account
4) issue the 'startx -- :1' command

Now you get a full x session started for your child very probably on the
8th console. You can switch back and forth beetween your desktop and the
child's by pressing Alt-Ctrl-F7 and Alt-Ctrl-F8 respectively.
You can safely log out of any of the desktops when you feel so.

All this is even automated in KDE if set up correctly. On debian sarge it
works perfectly with default settings. You just select 'Start New Session'
from the KDE menu and get a new session.

AFAIK gnome has a similar functionality too.

Regards
Zsolt