Configuration API

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Mon May 3 17:00:43 EEST 2004

Wow, quite some thread going on here, hope I'll have the time to catch up,
Now, just a second to comment on the "authority" ;-)

Am Monday 03 May 2004 11:24 schrieb Dave Cridland [Home]:

> The alternative, as I've mentioned before, is to manage these systems
> externally, by having a shepherd process that handles the data and
> notifications from the common backend by rewriting configuration files and
> making those changes happen (by the almost-ubiquitous HUP, or restarting
> processes, as appropriate.).

As far as I can tell several (if not many) projects have followed this appoach
at some time in the past, and it turned out not to be optimal. They consider
other data as athoritative than the app-to-be-configured and do "on demand"
translation. Among them yast and debconf  (IMHO, though it is allways
stressed debconf is not to be used as a registry this topic keeps people busy
just because the design *has* a separate data storage)

Those that have experience using those tools nonexclusivly probably agree that
it might be better to avoid a "fork and reconstruction" of the authoritative
config files.

Therefore I was thinking the "only generate a common representation for
configuration when demanded" approach could be preferable...

Together with "applications that need notifications, have probably already
chosen a backend that supports it." and "activation for other/traditional
configs can be defined for and handled by the backend interface" (parser in
most cases) it should be possible to provide a good feature set and be fully
backwards compatible. IIRC it was said the complexity of having only one
filebackend for a common representation versus several different filebackends
wasn't too big and wasn't a too big concern in CFG neither.

> As an aside, I once worked for a guy who thought that HUP actually was a
> 'reread your config' signal. It was really funny when he made that
> assumption with the shell he was using. :-)

Does seem as a somehow rather common mis-generalisation though. ;-)

Regards,
Christian

BTW: I have to admitt haven't read about ACAP before, but remember the
protocol to access CFGs middlelayer actually has been or still is a greater
concern for the developers, and has been somthing they wasn't quite sure
about.