Current desktop detection / app access ...

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Thu May 6 16:18:47 EEST 2004

On Thu May  6 13:45:53 2004, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thu May 6 2004 13:03, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	So - then each desktop as it wishes can install it's own shell script
> > to launch whatever it wants for various URIs [ Gnome has an existing
> > 'gnome-open' script of this type already ], and they can fallback onto
> > each other.
> >
> > 	Of course - there is probably a much better / simpler way of doing all
> > of this that I'm just missing; advice much appreciated.
>
> Sounds simple enough, if you write it out in a spec doc, I will add support
> in
> KDE for it.

Oooh... Could the desktop-open thing allow the application to specify the
MIME type (and possibly parameters) too? It'd make writing email apps a lot
easier, and presumably other apps which know the MIME type in some a priori
way. Otherwise you end up having to write a temporary file with a
specifically formatted filename, and praying that your notion of what the
extension should be (via, in my case, wxWidgets) matches that of the desktop
environment. I dislike this kind of double-translation thing immensely.

Dave.