Current desktop detection / app access - take 2.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon May 17 19:23:45 EEST 2004

On Monday 17 of May 2004 18:01, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Le lun 17/05/2004 à 17:55, Sean Middleditch a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 11:31, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > > /usr/bin/desktop-launchers an adequate place to standardise on ?
> >
> > /usr/libexec makes more sense.  The files in desktop-launchers are not
> > meant to be directly executed by users, and libexec is the place for
> > those kinds of executables.
>
> Keep in mind that /usr/libexec is not LSB compliant and is supposed to
> be /usr/lib on LSB compliant systems..

 IMHO it'd make more sense to use desktop-launcher-$desktop (located anywhere
in $PATH) instead of /usr/bin/desktop-launchers/$desktop (or whichever
location you'd want). That way it'd be possible to do e.g. user install
somewhere, with one specific location harcoded the functionality would be
lost. User install of whole KDE may seem strange, but in fact I did it once
(at school, in order to avoid using the CDE thing). And actually, this makes
sense even now, as I have stable and development versions of KDE in different
locations.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer