multiple mime-types for the same file?

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Mon May 24 17:48:05 EEST 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 16:20, Dave Cridland [Home] wrote:
> But that was all shouted down, hence we have a shared mime database
> that contains unregistered types, but doesn't contain all registered
> ones - including ones that have been registered for KDE by members of
> this list, which I find quite ironic.
Which mimetypes are you referring to?

Note that KDE doesn't use the shared mimetype spec yet, that will be for
KDE 4 (for obvious compatibility reasons). So of course we will sync
the mimetypes more in the future - I have started to do that (see the bug
reports), but more is still to be done.

> It's worth noting that the MIME type usage in the context of the
> desktop is essentially distinct from their use in an email client.
> Within the desktop, of course, it's fine to assume that each
> application agrees what x-foo/x-bar is, but in email, this is not a
> safe assumption to make.
This is exactly why we have the shared mimetype database...