Current desktop detection / app access - take 2.

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 27 17:27:18 EEST 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:13:13AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 11:40 +0100, Thomas Leonard wrote:
[...]
> > I dislike this desktop detection idea in general. We had a lot of problems
> > in the past with, eg, sawfish only supporting the extended window manager
> > hints if it detected it was running under GNOME, which meant that programs
> > that worked correctly under GNOME failed under ROX for no good reason.
>
> 	Interesting; that sounds like some pretty obvious brokenness in
> sawfish :-) clearly the specification attempts to ensure that it is
> obvious that there are a plurality of desktop environments based on
> different underlying technology.

In this case though, it was the *same* underlying technology (ie, both
using the same hinting system). I'd prefer to only select on technologies,
not desktops.

> Are there any other sub-dividable pieces beyond toolkit/vfs that you can
> think of that we should be looking at ?

I wouldn't even have a setting for VFS. Instead, make a wrapper library
that the user can configure to use one or the other. You have to write
this code anyway if you want to support both systems, so you might as well
share it. Other programs will surely find it easier to link against this
library than to write support for both systems.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net