Desktop Icon Theme Unification

Daniel Taylor DanTaylor at web.de
Mon May 31 16:07:09 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 08:15 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 02:03, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Sht , 2004-05-22 at 17:03 +0200, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> > > I don't really follow, but it sounds interesting.
> >
> > The Icon Theme Spec was basically designed for theming the icons in the
> > "Programs" or "Applications" menus, and not so much really for theming
> > everything else. Or at least, this is what I got out of it when I read
> > it through.
>
> How do you mean? Its based on the KDE icon themes, and that is used for
> all sorts of icons in KDE. The primary need to standardize them is
> application icons (since they are visible in the common desktop file
> spec), but thats by no means the only use.

I think it has to do with the broadness of the spec itself. Correct me
if I'm wrong, but I think Mr. Dawes' icon list shows how a specific
standard could look with icons for all aspects of a desktop system, not
just application/menu icons. I think the reason it seems to theme more
in KDE is because QT is included, while with GNOME the GTK+ themes are
seperate, and I think it would be a good idea to try and combine them
somehow (without making GTK+ need GNOME, of course!)

--
Daniel G. Taylor

Jabber ID: dan at amessage.de

* This email was sent from a box running Gentoo Linux *
* Support Free Software! *