Writing Shared Libraries, first draft

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Nov 6 21:34:18 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 21:39 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:

> This sort of thing actually explains quite a few of the "linux binary
> portability is black magic" type posts you see on the net.

I think you just give people a very simple rule: build your binaries on
the oldest version of the OS you want to support.

That always works, unless back compat is broken, but in principle back
compat should never be broken and most people agree with that principle.

No black magic there.

It would be nice to have some way to give an error message like "this
binary was compiled with version 4.0, so can't run on 3.0" instead of
the obscure link errors, of course.

Havoc