mime-type icons, a proposal

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Oct 1 15:12:50 EEST 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 13:40, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 16:02 +0100, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> > And if you want to allow this, you need translations and inheritance of
> > catagories, in addition to icons. Even though
> > 'Catagory/Documents.Numeric' isn't a 'real' MIME type, it behaves just
> > like one. It has a translated description, a parent class, an icon, and
> > maybe some aliases.
>
> I'm not sure we need the full things like translations and inheritance.
> Maybe we should just call it "generic-icon-name" instead of "category"
> to avoid confusing it with something more complicated that we don't
> need.

I don't see problems with treating them as regular MIME types. The only
difference is that your file-type detection function would never return them.
I wouldn't restrict it to icons only.

It allows the user to express things like "find all wordprocessor documents",
regardless of whether they are made with kword, MSWord, openoffice of
abiword.

Cheers,
Waldo
--