mime-type icons, a proposal

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Oct 1 17:16:34 EEST 2004

On Friday 01 October 2004 15:18, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 14:12 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure we need the full things like translations and inheritance.
> > > Maybe we should just call it "generic-icon-name" instead of "category"
> > > to avoid confusing it with something more complicated that we don't
> > > need.
> >
> > I don't see problems with treating them as regular MIME types. The only
> > difference is that your file-type detection function would never return
> > them. I wouldn't restrict it to icons only.
> >
> > It allows the user to express things like "find all wordprocessor
> > documents", regardless of whether they are made with kword, MSWord,
> > openoffice of abiword.
>
> Hmm. But if file detection wouldn't return them, how would you search on
> them?

Your file-type detection returns a type and then you ask "is this type a
wordprocessor document", and then it will return yes or no, depending on
whether the type inherits from the generic wordprocessor document type.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |  Wanted: Talented KDE developer  |  bastian at suse.com