mime-type icons, a proposal

Jakub Steiner jimmac at ximian.com
Mon Oct 4 15:36:49 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 19:05 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:

> > users will end up having mixed style icons on desktops
> > and it will look like XP having all the win95 cruft all around.
>
> I don't think that's a problem. First of all, it's very few users who will
> have custom mime types, probably in the count of single percentages. The
> (vanilla) mime type database will also have _many_ weird mime types -- it's a
> typical feature which Open Source's itch scratching fixes, the coverage of
> minor interests(at least KDE have tons). That won't create icons for them,
> though.

All I'm saying is that adding features like generic type fall-backs is
making things easier for theme authors while application specific mime-
types adds complexity. For a theme that has a distinct look and looks
particularly hideous if mixed with vanilla icons I strongly favor having
consistent look without the need to theme a gazillion icons.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at ximian.com>