mime-type icons, a proposal

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Thu Oct 7 03:18:39 EEST 2004

Frans Englich wrote:

>On Wednesday 06 October 2004 13:16, Jakub Steiner wrote:
>

>>On Oct 5, 2004, at 12:40 AM, Ryan Gammon wrote:
>>

>>>People who want consistancy could go with the fdo-spec'd default.
>>>People who are willing to give up some consistancy for style could go
>>>for an icon theme.
>>>

>>I don't see this argument very appealing. Let's make a spec that makes
>>having consistent look easy, not hard. Perhaps there is a way order the
>>lookup of a  mime type icon that does make app-defined mimetypes
>>possible (although I'm not toally convince we really NEED this
>>functionality still). For example:
>>
>>1) check if there is a mimetype icon for the current default handler in
>>the current theme
>>2) generic mimetype icon in the current theme
>>3) parent type (video/*, text/*) in the current theme
>>4) default handler mimetype in the inherited theme
>>5) generic mimetype icon in the inherited theme
>>6) parent type in the inherited theme
>>7) default handler icon in hicolor
>>8) generic mimetype in hicolor
>>9) parent type in hicolor

Get rid of check 8 and I think we're on the same page. Stating the
obvious, this doesn't guarantee a consistant look and feel, as hicolor
may not match any of the themes, or even each other. I have no problem
with this, but was pointing out that if the style of hicolor was spec'd,
at least asthetically sensitive users could have one theme where the
icons were guaranteed to match.

I like what Frans is saying below -- makes sense to me.