Icon theme specification: Standardizing icon names

Daniel Taylor dantaylor at web.de
Mon Oct 11 05:05:31 EEST 2004

This is great work! While I'm sure specifics will still have to be
worked out, I'm glad to really see some major work being done to unify
icon theming across the desktop. I hope this gets adopted by all the
major players!

As an icon theme author (of the original Lila themes, of which there
are themes for GNOME/KDE/XFCE, Firefox, and various other contributed
themes) I can really see the usefullness of this. Managing all those
different themes is a royal pain, and it's really just mostly renaming
files and/or creating slightly different configuration files (like
gtkrc).

We actually had the idea of creating a program to automatically convert
themes, but never had a standard to write the themes for (that could
then be used to generate all the different themes). There were also
some problems with generating icons using emblem overlays (going from
GNOME to KDE, for example), but svg-utils can do that now. Perhaps a
program like that could still be useful (even if just to convert old
themes to this new standard without any hassle)...

Some questions:

	-How do you propose to handle mimetypes? GNOME and KDE differ wildly
on this front (The GNOME makes more sense to me).

	-Should mimetypes be handled with emblems?

	-It would be a good idea to get quite a lot of application icons in
the "default" set, especially apps that most desktop configurations
will have. Web browser, chat program, mail program, multimedia apps,
office apps, development apps, etc come to mind. Are these going to be
included in the spec?

	-Is it your stance that KDE (and other desktops) should adopt a
GNOME-like emblem system (as in, would you make it the standard)? I
believe this is a really useful feature.

I will be watching this project closely :-D
--
Daniel G. Taylor
http://programmer-art.org