Icon theme specification: Standardizing icon names

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 18:10:46 EEST 2004

Some very quick comments. It's really great you are working on this.

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 21:50 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Attached is a patch which standardizes 1048 icon names, compiled from the
> ~2050 icons which KDE and GNOME in all houses. While that sounds like a lot,
> and bizarre for that matter too, the important question is where this is
> heading, what we want to achieve, and why.

Does it make sense to standardize this many icons? Should we try to
standardize a smaller subset that really obviously make sense ...
creating an icon theme with 1048 icons is pretty prohibitive.

> * GNOME have "rtl" versions of some icons, for example "stock_revert" and
> "stock_revert_rtl". The rtl images are horizontally flipped, for bidi
> languages I assume. KDE doesn't have this. How should this be handled?
> Should the spec dictate the lookup code to be "load *_rtl version if it exists
> and if bidi language is used"? This means a stat for each loaded icon. Would
> it be better to have a directive in the icon data file, which simply told the
> icon loader to flip the image? (simpler, smaller icon theme, among other
> things)

Some of the GNOME icons are *not* simply flips. (Imagine an icon
with text in, say.) To make icons themes  perform acceptably it is
basically required to have a precomputed index files (Hopefully someone
will be posting the format we are experimenting with for GTK+ here in
the next couple of days), so checking for icon existence doesn't mean an
extra syscall.

Regards,
						Owen