[perhaps OT and already discussed] usability standard/recommendation/guildline?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Wed Oct 13 04:59:34 EEST 2004

Hello. I happen to see this comment and table from scribus mailing list.
I wonder isn't there a good usability standard or recommendation
released from standard group like freedesktop, rather than from one or
two single persons about one or two single usability problems? Sorry for
wrong post, perhaps I am OT becuase this group is for standard creation
not ideas?

Manfred Jung wrote:

>Hi Everyone
>
>With my last publication I was under considerable time preasure and realized that one
>point always held me up. perhaps it would not have shown up otherwise. But I found it
>very confusing that the different DTP related programs call and place the butons
>differetly. In one case I almost lost my work. Well this trigered my little usability study.
>Others are probably much more clued up, but perhaps my lines strike a cord and it
>doesw good to all of us.

Program

Order from right to left (default in bold)

Comments

OpenOffice

*Save,* Discard, Cancel

when closing a document

Sodipodi

No, Cancel, *Save *

when closing a document

Inkscape

Close without saving, Cancel, *Save*

when closing a document

The Gimp

Cancel, *Discard Changes*

when closing a document

KIconEdit

*Yes*, No, Cancel

when closing a document

Scribus

*Save now*, Cancel, Close Anyway

when closing a document

Scribus

*No, *Yes

when save as on an existing doc name

Evolution

Discard changes, Cancel, *Save*

when closing a new mail

Firefox

Cancel, *Close all tabs*

when closing firefox with open tabs

 From the windoze world

CorelDraw

*Yes, *No, Cancel

when closing a document

Quark

*Yes,* No, Cancel

when closing a document

Word

*Yes,* No Cancel

(actually it came up with a run time error and crashed first time round,
surprise surprise...) when closing a document