Proposed extension to Desktop Entry Standard

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Oct 18 22:56:13 EEST 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 19:31, David Faure wrote:
> When the Exec lines doesn't contain any special arguments like %f %F %u or
> %U, %f is assumed. This is fine in most cases, but not when launching an
> application from a .desktop file's Action. In that case the path to the
> .desktop file will passed to the application, but it might not want any
> argument (i.e. it doesn't care which .desktop file it's being called from).

I don't think the Action part is part of the actual spec, is it?

> Oswald suggested to add %0 (percent zero) to the specification,
> meaning "no path or URL added automatically here", i.e. disable the implicit
> adding of %f.
> So I would be able to write
> Exec=ktrash -empty %0
> and %0 would be expanded to nothing.

That would not be compatible with previous versions of the spec. Why not just
disable the implicit adding of %f for Actions?

The spec doesn't say that %f should be assumed in the first place.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   SUSE LINUX 9.2: Order now!   |   bastian at suse.com