Notification reference implementation

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Thu Oct 21 19:55:04 EEST 2004

Hi,

I'd just like to point out that there is a reference implementation of
the notification spec in Galago Subversion:

http://freedesktop.org:8080/svn/galago/trunk/notification-daemon/
http://freedesktop.org:8080/svn/galago/trunk/libnotify/

They are written in standard C++. Currently there is a GTK+ backend, but
a Qt/KDE backend would be welcome too (actually I believe people are
playing with different forms of KDE integration).

I'm just repeating this information as I noticed somebody has apparently
duplicated the work we've already done almost pixel for pixel, which
seems a bit pointless. There are a bunch of features the reference impl
needs, like:

- Positioning the poptarts to avoid the users panels
- Animation
- Global "dismiss" hotkey
- Full support for the current spec

Our manpower is limited, let's please try and avoid duplicating each
others work.

thanks -mike