Trash spec: wrapping up

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 12:46:37 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 17:00 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> I'm done with the trash implementation in KDE (after I fix the last undo/redo bug today :).
>
> The last draft of the spec seems to be OK with everyone involved,
> so how about we turn it into an official freedesktop standard?
> Does anyone know how we should proceed for this to happen?
>
> I would like to thank Mikhail and Alexander for their participation in the
> creation of this spec, BTW!

So. I recognize that this is a bit late, but I have changed my opinion
on the encoding of the trash info file a bit. Hopefully we can still
change this.

I still think that we must store the actual byte-string in the file, as
opposed to converting it to some other encoding. However, it would be
nice if the text file was still valid UTF8, and it needs to be able to
contain all sorts of files, including those with newlines in the name.

Thus, i propose that we store the byte string in escaped form in the
trash info file. The normal desktop file escaping method doesn't allow
encoding of any byte value, so we can't use that. To avoid multiple
escape/unescape problems when using existing desktop parsers we
shouldn't extend that method. Instead i propose that we use url-style
escaping.

Opinions?

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an impetuous pirate waffle chef on the hunt for the last specimen of a
great and near-mythical creature. She's a tortured extravagent lawyer with a
birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!