~/.etc (was: Home directories.)

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Tue Oct 26 14:11:09 EEST 2004

I don't know why ~/.config has been proposed instead of using ~/.etc or
~/.etc/xdg or something like ~/.etc/xdg-config if it really needs to be xdg
specific.

Maybe it's only because ~/.etc wasn't commonly used and nobody did the first
step leading to ~/.etc/your-app-name user specific configs before?

XDG_DATA_HOME defaulting to $HOME/.local/share raises another question.
What association does it have with local? It's user specific thus under $HOME,
the home dir seems to be often imported over the network rather than local.

$HOME/.data/share or $HOME/.usr/share closer following the traditional
convention to distinguish static user data and variable data may seem more
appropriate here, too.

If we can recognize that by slightly adjusting the xdg spec we can foster a
broader over all consistency, that even encourages non xdg related apps to
use the same conventions, it would be worthwhile IMHO.

Kind Regards,
Christian