KWIG Qt->Gtk porting layer and merging main loops.

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Oct 30 13:48:52 EEST 2004

On Saturday 30 October 2004 01:44, nf wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:45, David Faure wrote:
> > I really wish we'd be concentrating on writing specs here, instead of
> > always coming up with "let's merge the world" threads that lead nowhere.
>
> The sad thing is that its not technical reasons why discussions about
> merging things "lead nowhere".

Yes there are. The common argument from KDE developers for not liking C
libraries is because of the inferior APIs these libraries often have. You
will never get KDE developers to give up clean nice APIs and move to C APIs,
and you will never get GNOME developers to move to move to a feature-bloated
(API is king) language like C++.
Things might look different when/if GNOME moves to C#, but then again that
will complete kill GNOME and leave us with only one major desktop ;-)

Here on fd.o we can agree on common specifications, common code is far more
controversial. Threads like this one that suggest it is practically
flamebait.

`Allan