Trash spec 0.2, technical questions

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 10:03:32 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 17:14, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> What about permissions of this top-level .Trash directory?
>
> If it is created by the first user to use the trash, then that user will
> own it.
>
> Also, it'd be important to keep in mind some situations with complex ACLs,
> where in the umask is dictated by the default ACL and not by the process's
> umask. In these cases, it may be possible for the first user to create
> .Trash to not be able to give permissions to other users.

Yes. Thus the discusion of a setuid app to set the right permissions on
this directory.

> There is a lot of things which I think are more complex than are warranted
> by making subdirectory's vs Nautilus' .Trash-${user} design.

This is why i'm leaning towards the "Use .Trash if set up by sysadmin,
otherwise try to create $topdir/.Trash-${uid} approach.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an obese sweet-toothed grifter on his last day in the job. She's a blind
red-headed queen of the dead with a knack for trouble. They fight crime!