Trash spec 0.2, technical questions

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Wed Sep 1 17:35:58 EEST 2004

Am Wednesday 01 September 2004 13:23 schrieb Alexander Larsson:

> I have a question about this approach.

Thanks, much appreciated.

> Given a file /foo/bar/gazonk that you want to trash, where you don't own
> the foo or bar dirs yourself. How would you go about creating a copy of
> those dirs in the trash dir?

To form a lingo maybe we could call this "unprivileged trashing"? Within the
$HOME directory and maybe even for removable media filesystems without user
permission support this might be all that is necessary.

If you don't own /foo/bar but have write permission I think the only valid
trash dir you could create would be /foo/bar/Trash (you're the owner but it's
world writable, well for those that have access to the parent directory)

> And what if permissions on a directory are
> later changed, when and how is that updated in the trash?

I guess never.

As David pointed out in the "trash mechanism" thread when the problem is with
putting back the file you can drag it to another place.

If the problem is with files still available from the trash after restricting
permissions one can't guarantee no prior copies exist anyway. You need to
remember to shred your trash as in real live.

If the problem is that the permission of the directory where /Trash resides is
restriced the whole subree and trash is shut down too. Though, someone might
maybe still have fetched a copy before ;-)

Cheers,
Christian