Location of home trash dir (Re: Trash spec 0.2, technical questions)

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Sep 1 17:48:47 EEST 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 14:11, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
> On 30 Aug 2004 13:51:55 +0200 Alexander Larsson wrote:
> : On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 12:36, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
> : > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:04:38 +0400 Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> : > : Version 0.2 of the Trash Spec is now available. The location is
> : > : unchanged:
> : > :
> : > : http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html
> : >
> : > Why not have a environment variable to specify the users trash dir ?
> : > Say I would like to use $HOME/Trash instead of $HOME/.Trash I would
> : > like to be able to set a variable for this. How about $TRASHDIR or
> : > (to be coherent with the basedir spec) $XDG_TRASH_HOME ?
> :
> : As an opposing view. Why have an environment variable to specify this?
> : Just adding complexity for the sake of complexity is very bad.
>
> Because being able to organise your "hidden" directories reduces
> complexity instead of increasing it. At this moment I have 146 hidden
> directories in my home directory that I can't move to a more organised
> structure which makes browsing my home dir very bad for some
> applications. This is why the basedir specification tries to create
> order in this realm.

I'm fine with an env. var, even though it sounds like a way for the user to shoot
himself in the foot :)
But the amount of hidden files in your $HOME isn't going to be helped much by
this, every single X application writes stuff there... The worse of them all
being zsh, which leaves tons of history files in my $HOME :)