Introduction and toolkit abstraction

Meghazi Fabien agr at amigrave.com
Wed Sep 1 12:52:36 EEST 2004

> I don't know why either. I really like wxWidgets, as it now has to be
> called thanks to the glories of Microsoft trademarks. Specifically, I
> like wxPython. It's seamless across UNIX, Windows, and (almost?) Mac.
> It'll handle a bunch of native toolkits, or be a toolkit in its own
> right.
> I think it's fantastic. I'm a big fan. It's GPL compatible, but a
> permissive license for the commercial apps (of which there are many,
> such as the AOL software). Sure it's not perfect, and the C++ is
> weird enough that I use the wxPython binding instead, but it works.

I like wxWidget too. I wonder if it would be possible to promote wxWidget by
releasing a version of wxWidget for each window manager. Eg: the gnome
version would bind with gtk+ AND gnome  widgets, the KDE version of wxWindow
would use qt AND KDE widget, and so, each Window manager community could
release its own version of wxWidget with their look'n feel and widgets so the
wx lib would be used in correlation with the currently used desktop.

Hum... I don't know if I'm explaining my idea the good way. It looks silly
when I read it back.