Location of home trash dir (Re: Trash spec 0.2, technical questions)

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 17:54:04 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 15:42 +0200, Claes Holmerson wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > I'm worried that any use of env variables like this will cause you to
> > sometimes use different trash directories (depending on what desktop you
> > logged in to, what computer you used, and things like that). This means
> > you will:
> > a) Not be able to recover some trash from a previous login
> > b) Not be able to free up space from a previous login if the disk is
> > full or out of quota
> >
> > This is why having a configurable trash dir strikes me as bad. The spec
> > i all about making us SHARE the trash directory for various good
> > reasons. Adding an env variable makes this easy to break.
> >

> Hmm.. I can't really understand this argument. I thought the XDG Base
> directory specification
> (http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html) was
> supposed to be built upon in other specifications developed at
> freedesktop? Are not the environment variables defined there sensitive to
> exactly the same problems as you describe here? I also thought that these
> variables were supposed to be set at login, independent of the desktop
> that is used, so it is not like they should be changed all the time...

Its not exactly the same. For instance, with configuration files, the
intent of setting an environment variable for them is probably to use
another set of config files. However, is there ever a reason to use more
than one trash?

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an old-fashioned bohemian cowboy fleeing from a secret government
programme. She's a high-kicking foul-mouthed pearl diver living on borrowed
time. They fight crime!