Trash specification, version 0.1

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Thu Sep 2 18:56:08 EEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 16:57, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 14:51 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 September 2004 12:56, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 10:44 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> >
> > That'd work too. I was suggesting [Desktop Entry] + Type=something
> > because that's more consistent with what we (kde) do with
> > Type=MimeType, Type=Service, Type=ServiceType etc., but those
> > are parsed more or less together, whether trash info files are in a well-specified
> > directory (we know what type they are before even opening them).
>
> Well, adding a Type to [Desktop Entry] in a spec would require changing
> the actual desktop file spec. (And it would confuse gnome apps that
> detect desktop files by sniffing and have no clue what type=TrashInfo
> means.)

Ah. Given the number of files in KDE that use [Desktop Entry]
and custom "Type" values (like the ones I cited above, and maybe more),
I think the gnome sniffing code should check for Type=Application anyway.

But from a mimetype point of view, I see what you mean: either this is
application/x-desktop (and we don't know what to do with it since it's not a real one)
or we have to invent a new mimetype (not that we'd know what to do with it either,
but at least people would get a constant icon for the info files if they ever open that
directory in a filemanager, instead of getting extension-dependent icons and
mimetypes, which would create trouble - e.g. info/foo.png isn't actually a PNG)

Basically, if we care about people opening info/ in a filemanager, then we need
a mimetype like application/x-trashinfo _and_ we need to append .trashinfo
(or whatever) to every file there.

If we don't care (for such a border case, arguably), then it doesn't matter what
we decide upon (as the group name etc.)

Hmm, in fact an intermediary solution is to append .desktop to info files,
to end up with a constant mimetype (application/x-desktop), and use
whichever group in it, [Trash Entry] for instance. In the rare case where the
user opens the info/ dir, the files will at least not appear to be the original
ones, unlike those in the trash/ dir, so the user will know which files to
copy over, for emergency file restoration :)