Trash: base dir in $HOME

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Thu Sep 2 23:56:20 EEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 22:47, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> (2) do we follow the FreeDesktop.org base dir spec? The arguments about
> evenrually moving it to $HOME/.var/Trash seem justified.

Except that the base dir spec doesn't talk about .var at all.
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html
talks about $XDG_DATA_HOME, which defaults to $HOME/.local/share,
and I would think that this makes a good candidate for the default location
of the "Trash" directory (no leading dot needed then).

$XDG_CACHE_HOME is "non essential, cached data", which IMHO doesn't apply
to trash data - it's essential to the user, it's not a throwable cache, as discussed earlier.

So my suggestion is $XDG_DATA_HOME/Trash - let's have the freedesktop.org specs
play nicely with each other, indeed :)