Trash: directories in $topdir, and security

mr at ramendik.ru mr at ramendik.ru
Tue Sep 7 12:28:28 EEST 2004

Hello,

>> (2) the file system does not support Unix permissions, and uses ACLs
>> instead? XFS, for example. It's in POSIX, so we can't ignore this
>> possibility. Besides, ACLs are really more convenient for ahared
>> resources, especially in large organizations.

> I'm not sure what the problem is with ACLs filesystems though.
> These generally have unix permissions in addition to ACLs, don't they?
>
> We really need to verify the sticky bit is set, or users could remove
> other users trash.

What if we use an NTFS/Samba share? Only trash to $HOME unless $topdir is
user writeable? Besides, I've seen some talk that the sticky bit does not
work on XFS (could not find a reference in English right now).

And a more "principled" note. We're developing something that was not
available before - a spec for trashing usable *over a network*. I don't
think binding it tightly to the Unix architecture is a good idea/
Especially to a very Unix-specific thing like the old permissions system.
It may be on the way out, because of ACLs.

But. I have an idea. The recommended solution will be to check for the
sticky bit, but to provide an ability to disable the check for a
particular top directory. Only root should be able to disable it.

Is this OK? (If yes, I'll try to release 0.3 no later than tomorrow).

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik