Trash spec 0.3 ; Samba/CIFS shares?

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Thu Sep 9 01:10:07 EEST 2004

Hello,

The Trash specification, version 0.3, is now available at:

http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html

I think it includes everything that was discussed and agreed upon here.
Please tell me if this is not so.

I have a big question here. With our reliance on numeric user IDs, are
we not precluding support for shares over CIFS (Samba etc.) that just
don't use numeric user IDs? Or if they do use them - I don't really know
- the IDs are not the same as the uids on the local system anyway.

What do we do about this? I think such shared resources should be
supported (and not just by copying to $XDG_DATA_HOME/Trash). This method
of sharing is quite common.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik