Different resolution for different clients

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Thu Sep 9 03:37:26 EEST 2004

Hi All,

About a year ago I ran into an issue with XFree, which may or may not be
changed in X.org: I have a desktop computer running Linux, with XFree
4.3, Mandrake 10.0. screen resolution 1024x768. My second computer is an
older laptop, with maximum resolution 800x600 pixels.

Now I want to set up the X Server at the desktop computer, to be
accessible from the laptop computer. Under XFree I have to set the
resolution to the lowest available (the laptop) - there is no way of
using different resolutions under different clients. So 1024x768 on my
desktop, and then the lower resolution on my laptop. It would make the
old faithful so much more useful suddenly...

Is there any chance this is going to be possible under X.org? Or is it
possible already?

Wouter.