Trash spec 0.4

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Thu Sep 9 17:33:15 EEST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 16:23, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 10:00 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps it's best to say that when restoring a file, it may only ever
> > be
> > restored to the exact same device the trash is on?  Following symlinks
> > is OK so long as they are not followed off the device.
>
> If you untrash using rename(2) or link(2)+unlink(2) you can't even get
> this problem, since they would return EXDEV.
>
> Of course, if you used trashing by copying to $home, then you're hosed.
> And your rule would break untrashing files trashed in that way.

No - the rule is different for $HOME.
The home trash can accept trashed files from anywhere, with full paths, and is able
to restore them anywhere.
It's the trash in $topdir of a partition that has limitations: only relative paths,
and only allow untrashing into the same partition (device).
(I meant st_dev, not st_rdev, in the last mail)