The Polypaudio sound server

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Sep 9 18:54:06 EEST 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> Not to bash your comparison, but there is nothing inherently
> non-portable about the ALSA API.  In fact ALSA itself has been ported to
> OS/2, and QNX implements the ALSA API at the moment.  FreeBSD would have
> an ALSA port if it weren't for the GPL.

Where can I find any work on porting ALSA to FreeBSD?

I am curious because I have packaged alsa-lib and alsa-utils for NetBSD's
pkgsrc (in the work-in-progress collection), but only useful for Linux
now. (pkgsrc supports many operating systems.) I may be interested in
adding patches for *BSD support if available.

(By the way, the term "port" as commonly used by FreeBSD is for porting
third-party software to the FreeBSD ports collection, their
build-from-source system. The "ports" contains mostly GPL'd projects.  Of
course, GPL'd code should be kept away from FreeBSD's own native code.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/