Trash spec 0.3 ; Samba/CIFS shares?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Sep 10 11:24:13 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 16:29 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> I also think encoding the uid into the directory name is a really bad
> idea. It simply doesn't belong there.

But does the username belong there? Thats also a volatile identifier,
one that is perhaps more likely to change than the uid. And the uid is
what is stored in the permissions on most filesystems actually in use,
so I think its a better choice, if you need to make a per-user unique
folder.

> I would put the username into the file name, but do all matching on the
> POSIX owner attribute. This also makes some winbind situations unusable,
> where the UID may (will) change between systems, but this is mapped out
> properly on the other end.

We can't do any scanning, that is to slow and shouldn't even be allowed
in normal cases.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an obese chivalrous cop on his last day in the job. She's a radical
bisexual mechanic with a birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight
crime!