Default paths in Base Directory Specification

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmmv84 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 00:50:12 EEST 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:47:58 +0100, Mike Hearn
<m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, but I fail to see the advantages of the current defaults.  I
> > think I'll just patch
> > gnome-session to define the required variables at bootup and keep that patch in
> > pkgsrc, just to remove trouble from, at least, all our GNOME users.
> > (This is the
> > simplest local solution... patching every program is just a
> > maintenance nighmare).
>
> What's wrong with the proposed solution of just setting it in the
> startup scripts, like PATH?

Because it's not that easy; I mean, it can't be done automatically.
The administrator
can install packages wherever he wants, so adding a default variable pointing to
/usr/pkg could be wrong.  (We could implement a system similar to Fedora's
profile.d, where packages can install configuration bits... but I
don't know if the other
pkgsrc developers will like the idea.  Anyway, it does not solve the problem
completely, because users need to source those files by hand.)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84 at gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/