Fwd: Re: tigert's mockups and HTML

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Tue Sep 21 19:20:26 EEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:14:33AM -0700, Christian Hammond wrote:

> - If you don't specify a subset of HTML in the spec, that means you
>   have to load and initialize an actual rendering engine. That's
>   far, far too heavy. We already have speed/responsiveness
>   problems with a simple 800k C++ app (it uses over a meg of heap with
>   nothing on the screen at all after the first notification!!).

Let's face it, there are no more desktops that don't have an html renderer
*already* loaded.  We should focus our efforts on making it so that each
*instance* of the renderer doesn't suck tons of memory, not on avoiding HTML
based on the rather suspicious theory that we can avoid loading an HTML
renderer.

In fact, if we use HTML for more onscreen stuff, we can probably save
memory: a lot of the rendering we would have to code by hand (ie. layout of
messages in a notification window) could be done in HTML.

Have fun,

Avery