Fwd: Re: tigert's mockups and HTML

Patrick Patterson ppatters at nit.ca
Tue Sep 21 20:20:17 EEST 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 13:01, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Avery Pennarun <apenwarr at nit.ca> writes:
> > Let's face it, there are no more desktops that don't have an html
> > renderer *already* loaded.
>
> Can you back this up? I think you are wrong and I am sure that I can
> back up my disagreement with lots of desktops on the computer screens
> around me. Not everyone is browsing the web all day long or reading
> HTML mail. Perhaps there's a HTML renderer I don't know about that
> everyone has loaded already?

I don't know - I've got 70 odd Linux desktops (30 or so are developers, 40 are
sales and Marketing folk) around here, and all of them have a browser open in
one of their windows, or preloaded behind the scenes (KDE Users).

And, since most file managers display a preview of documents as you browse
through, I'm going to guess that Nautilus has a rendering engine library
loaded somehow. Evolution and Kontact both render HTML mail, so they must
have a renderer loaded, and a large number of IM clients now do HTML.... And,
with most companies moving more and more of their services to web based
systems, this is only going to increase?

What are your systems running that they aren't doing Mail, IM, or Web
browsing?

--
Patrick Patterson
Technical Ambassador