tigert's mockups and HTML

Tuomas Kuosmanen tigert at novell.com
Fri Sep 24 18:54:42 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 13:54 -0400, Alex Graveley wrote:
> Okay,
>
> So either I am smoking crack, or all the rest of you are.  I'm not sure
> which is true, but let me try to explain why I think its not me...

:-)

> 1) Notification actions...  -Look- at every single screenshot tigert has
> produced.  Notice that almost all of them have -actions- (some have
> multiple) related to the notification.  Notice also that performing
> actions like "send im", "send mail", "empty trash", cannot be
> accomplished by firing up a browser with a url.  This means that somehow
> you are going to have to attach -code- to their activation.  Are you
> really willing to make a "How to attach code to html links in a
> desktop-neutral, html-renderer neutral setting" spec to complement the
> notifications-are-html spec?  And then implement this spec for every
> HTML widget?

You folks need to take my suggestions also with a big grain of salt. Do
not take software architecture advice from me. Period. :-) I can do
basic housekeeping stuff with Perl and a bit of PHP crack, but not much
apart from that.

Instead try to see *where* I want to aim with the suggestions. With this
in mind what Alex is saying sounds good here. Please try not to get
stuck with the technical stumbling blocks in my mockups and writings
more than what is necessary :)

When I say "like HTML" I mean "I want to be able to do stuff similar
like I could with a small web browser window". Also, we do not know
right now what kind of markup someone might need in the future for a new
application.

> The basic point is this:  None of us have any idea what people will want
> to do with notifications.  Tigert just came up with a use today that
> seems to me to be valuable and interesting, and which is -completely
> unsupported- by how the spec currently stands (or even what has been
> proposed).  Are we going to go through the spec alteration process every
> time a feature like this comes up?

Yeah, and we are doing a spec before there is anything doing this kind
of stuff on Linux. My concern here is that I want to have the
possibility to do the cool and useful stuff, more "rich" content. The
way it is done, that's irrelevant to me as a designer, as long as it is
possible. And works on whatever desktop that adopts this spec.

Now, the reason I do these mockups is that I am more or less trying to
give us the needed real world examples so we know what kind of stuff
this is we are writing a spec for.

Discussing this has been good, and I have got a lot of good ideas and
feedback from people. So lets keep going :-)

//Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert at novell.com>