Some Icon Theme Spec fixes

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 13:24:07 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 15:42 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> This patch provides a few fixes to the text in the Icon Theme spec, as
> well as a few enhancements.
>
> The main enhancement here is specifying the standard themes directory,
> that we already use for GTK+ and Metacity themes, as primary places to
> look for icons, while deprecating the other "icons" directories. This
> allows artists to easily group their themes all in the same tarballs.
> I also have a patch to GTK+, and one to the Gnome Control Center to
> make this work for Gnome. If I knew the QT/KDE code, I would have made
> patches for those as well.
>
> Another change is to reference "x-directory-normal" instead of
> "mime_source_c" in the example to show the corelation between the
> icon.{png,svg} and icon.icon files, in preparation for the upcoming
> standard icon naming spec draft and proposal.
>
> Can we get these changes in to the spec? Thanks.

I put the obvious fixes in cvs.

Does everyone agree with the /icons/$themename ->
themes/$themename/icons change, and will all current implementators
change this?

While I see the reasons for this change it also means that old
applications using the old spec will totally fail to load icons from
themes using the latest specification. At the very least there is gonna
be a transition period where some icon themes don't work in some apps.
Is it really worth breaking apps to change this location?

The example icon name change is a bit unfortunate, as you picked a
gnome-only mimetype (the freedesktop mimetype for directories is
"inode/directory", but gnome currently still use the old x-directory/*
mimetypes for various types of directories).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a time-tossed misogynist cat burglar looking for 'the Big One.' She's a
virginal antique-collecting femme fatale with the power to bend men's minds.
They fight crime!