dvfs api and toolkits

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 04:04:38 EEST 2005

>>more flexibility then the high level document interface which might not
>>be appropriate for some things (EG log files where you want to append
>>text without reading the whole file into memory, mime type sniffing
>

> Don't use D-VFS for log files.  D-VFS isn't for log files.  It's not for
> configuration files.  It's not for application data files (ie, stuff
> in /usr).  It's for documents.  Maybe we should call it Document-VFS
> instead of Desktop-VFS.  ;-)

The other big problem with this is video files - in particular huge
ones. Using your document API loading a 1GB avi file would need 1GB of
RAM which is of course completely barmy. Now video files are documents
are they not? And they can be on non local media so theres another good
reason for making the document API a subset whilst providing alternate
methods for streaming files chunk wise.

jamie.