dvfs api and toolkits

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Tue Apr 5 20:30:42 EEST 2005

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 00:10 +0200, nf2 wrote:
>

>>I'd bet (a bottle of bitburger) that the daemon will be designed in
>>synchronous (C) style using threads. You can't compare a VFS daemon with
>>a Web-Server. A VFS backend has two "pipes" to talk to - the client and
>>the outside world - with different speeds - which makes async design
>>very hard.
>>

>The daemon will be using threads, yes.  The daemon will still be
>designed around asynchronous communication with the client.

The conversion from real synchronous (C = blocking
open-read/write-close) to async (A) should happen as close to the client
interface as possible. The D-VFS backend interface should be in C style,
because C makes things like this (combining access methods) possible
without additional pipes and threads.

ftp://username:password@host.net/path/to/file.tar.gz#gzip:#tar:/path/to/hello.c

The Gnome-VFS documentation claims that things like this:

file:/home/ettore/file.gz#gzip:

can be done "on the fly", which means without downloading the whole file.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gnome-vfs-2.0/gnome-vfs-writing-modules.html

regards
norbert